Tuesday, June 28, 2011

Week 5 T2P

If... then... because...


     If a your approach to teaching is based upon solely theory then some students might not be able to be optimal learners in the classroom because the mind of an adolescent is a complex web that is hard to traverse into when they are not motivated or interested in the topics being covered.


     As this summer session nears its end, I find myself understanding that everything in class is great advice and reasons behind doing things one way or the other but it is all going to come down the relationship and communication that is developed between your students and yourself. Teachers want to call themselves Good often because they feel that they can be successful teachers based on their past, whether it is test scores, reviews, etc. but I think that good teachers comes from more then just the outcome the teacher has as a classroom and what the students walk away from classrooms with. 


Good  teachers are structured and selfless, they are there for their students and the gains that they hope they receive from the classroom. They are not only passionate about their subject material but the learning challenges and enthusiasm that can come out of optimal learning for all.

     It is good theory to use theorists like Skinner, Noddings, Pink, and others to help explain why teachers approach the classroom differently and why their students react to interactions in the classroom the way they do. I know that I will come to use their ideas as I further my education as a future educator myself, but I am hesitant to say that one way is the right way and that everyone has to do one theory to even be a good teacher. 

Teachers are the best on the fly thinkers, and I feel that all teachers want to approach their classroom in certain ways , but many things can interfere with things going as planned. As an educator, we cannot get frustrated with challenges and let them lead us off of the path of emotion and motivation but use that failure to push ourselves further to understand the reasons that things happen the way they do in the classroom setting.  Teachers are more then just teachers, they are students too and as I have said before we are students of our students and students of ourselves as teachers.

     Adolescents have complex minds as we have seen today, and we might not always know why they do the things they do but we need to understand that they are learning now only what we are teaching in a classroom but learning about themselves and discovering themselves everyday. 

The classroom is a scary place for all, teachers and learners the same. I hope as a future educator I can help bridge the gap for students and not only help them further themselves in education but as a member of society. I will use all of the theories we have learned about to help my teachings in different situations, but ultimately our teaching persona and how we want to approach education for our students is something that is every changing and growing as we ourselves discover more about ourselves. 

2 comments:

  1. Kelly,

    One little pinch: "classroom = scary"? How about exhilarating? Or thrilling?

    With a little revision there, I think you've got a solid bit of text here to harvest for your final paper. This last bit would go well in a conclusion.

    Nice!

    See you Wednesday!

    GNA

    ReplyDelete
  2. Scary is once again a poor choice of words. I think I like exhilarating more. It is something that I find the classroom to be for students more then scary anyway. Either way, it is the idea of not wanting students to feel trepidation about going to school and learning and excitement and suspense.

    ReplyDelete